As “athleisure” wear increases in popularity, the need for regular runs to the local dry cleaner has become less frequent. But special occasions may warrant the need to gently freshen and clean our dressy garments.
Luckily, if you find yourself short on time, you can remove odors quickly and effectively with steam cleaning andFresh Wave natural odor eliminator products.
Here are our tips for getting a that crisp, pressed, and fresh-smelling look of a professional-grade cleaning at home
What is a Steam Cleaner?
A steam cleaner, or steamer, is a wand-like device that uses the power of water and heat to clean, remove wrinkles, and deodorize clothing or upholstery. You can find one at your local home and appliance store, and they can come in handheld or larger models.
While a steam cleaner is similar to an iron, irons do not have the ability to clean and remove odors and aren’t typically recommended for use on delicate fabrics. Steam cleaners also don’t come in direct contact with fabric like irons do.
How Does Steam Cleaning Remove Odors?
It’s simple science. A steam cleaner safely heats water to about 200° F in order to create steam. The heated steam works to loosen fibers in fabric to kill odor-causing bacteria and germs, plus harsh allergens caused by dust mites.
Not only does steam kill odor, but it also has the ability to remove stains if you haven’t left them sitting on the fabric for too long.
3 Steps on How to Use a Steam Cleaner for Maximum Effect
- Hang your garment on a rack with an open front and back
- Start from top to bottom and slowly trace the steam cleaner across your clothing or upholstery
- Enjoy the odorless, fresh smell and look of your clothing and upholstery
Why Should I Use a Steam Cleaner?
Steam cleaning removes odors. To be fair, so does dry cleaning and using a traditional washer and dryer (especially if you use Fresh Wave’s odor eliminating Laundry Booster).
However, there are more pros than cons for steam cleaning to remove odors and stains from clothing and upholstery. Here’s when to use a steam cleaner:
- Steam cleaning extends the lifetime of your garments.Delicate fabrics often fade, fray, or tear more easily when placed in the washer and dryer.
- Steam cleaning only uses pure water.Dry cleaning shops use (sometimes harsh) chemicals to remove odors and stains from clothing and upholstery.
- Steam cleaning removes wrinkles without contact.Plus, irons don’t have the ability to remove odors or stains.
- Steam cleaning is easier on your garments than an iron, which can be easily dropped or burn your clothing if held down and pressed for too long.
- Steam cleaning is less financial investment, long-term, than dry cleaning.You’ll see a bigger price tag on a steam cleaner up front, but in the end, it will pay for itself.
- Steam cleaning is DIY.You’ll save yourself the potential risk of someone else damaging your item of clothing or upholstery.
- A steam cleaner partners perfectly with odor removing products. Finish your clean withFresh Waveto safely and naturally remove odors and stains!
We’re big fans of steam cleaning, but there are a couple of instances when dry cleaning might be the preferred method of cleaning your clothes. One, is if a stain has set in the fabric and is tricky to remove and the other is when the size of your garment (delicate bedding or a long dress or coat) is too large for a one-person steaming job.
How Do I Use a Steam Cleaner for Maximum Effect?
Steam cleaning is quick, efficient, and easy. It’s the perfect method for smoothing stubborn wrinkles while also releasing odors that build up over time. Better yet, when you pair steam cleaning with a natural, odor-eliminating solution like Fresh Wave, the results speak for themselves.
Step 1:Hang your garment on a rack with an open front and back. Try avoiding hanging your garment on the back of a door, as it will accumulate moisture.
Step 2:Spray your garment with Fresh Wave Odor Eliminating Spray.
Step 3:Start from top to bottom and slowly trace the steam cleaner across your clothing or upholstery.
Step 3:Enjoy the fresh-smelling, wrinkle-free clothing and upholstery!
Here’s why the power-packed duo of Fresh Wave and steam cleaner is a game-changer:
- It’s great forcleaning curtains and drapes.
- If you’retaking clothing out of storage, it’s effective for removing wrinkles and musty odors.
- If yourcloset needs a burst of freshness, steam cleaning is super convenient, since your clothing is most likely already on hangers!
- Dresses and suits that have been worn at summer weddings or outdoor events probably have a hint of sweat smell to them. Steam cleaners will help remove sweat smell from clothes!
- Is your couch or chair not smelling great? Steam clean cushions, pillows, and all over toget out smells.
Check out ourGuide to Cleaning Upholstery at Home and Keep it Looking Like New, for more tips.
If you’re unsure about using a steam cleaner on your clothes or furniture, you can always just useFresh Wave. Start with our Odor Removing Laundry Boosterand then if odors persist, try our Odor Removing Fabric Spray. Our natural products erase odors the safe way, so you can restore your home and clothing’s freshness in no time.