Whether it’s for toting your stuff to work, to and from the gym, in the great outdoors, or your kids’ school, backpacks are an essential accessory for everyday life. They can also take a beating, developing strong odors from the diverse items they carry.
Here’s a quick guide to backpack odor removal and keeping smells from coming back.
Potential Backpack Smells
- Food (from lunches or snacks)
- Workout clothing
- Camping gear
- Spills and grime
Clean the Outside of Your Backpack
To remove any dirt, grime, or smells from the outside of the backpack, use a homemade cleaner.
- Mix dish soap or white vinegar with warm water in a spray bottle.
- Spray down and scrub with a clean cloth.
- Scrub any stubborn spots with stain remover.
- Dab a new cloth or paper towel with Fresh Wave Laundry Booster (a surprisingly effective backpack deodorizer) to remove any odors from the exterior.
- Hang outside or in your laundry room to dry.
Deodorize the Inside of Your Backpack
Eliminate backpack smells without staining or harming the fabric.
- Remove all school supplies, papers, gear, or other items from the inside. Shake out any food crumbs or dirt into the trash.
- Spritz a bit of Fresh Wave Odor Removing Sprays — either original blend or lavender — along the lining to eliminate any backpack smells from food, sweaty workout clothes, shoes, or other odor sources. Our special deodorizing formula will destroy odor molecules rather covering them up with perfumes.
- Leave open and let bag dry before repacking.
Use Packs for Continuous Odor Removal
Once you’ve cleaned and deodorized the inside and outside of your backpack, you’ll want to keep it smelling fresh for all your workdays, workouts, and adventures to come. Prevent future odors by adding Fresh Wave Odor Removing Packs to continuously deodorize your backpack.
The powerful packs are effortless — place them in the bottom of the bag or in its outside pockets, then leave them to work their magic. Natural plant oils inside the Packs absorb odor molecules produced by backpack contents